Tuesday, January 3, 2012

jury duty.

i guess i was a little deceived by the red font on the paper.
JURY DUTY sounded pretty fancy.
I was doing my civic duty.
I was excused from work today to go to a courthouse and serve justice.


But this morning I woke up late.
Instead of packing the lunch I wanted to... or eating my healthy breakfast... I ran out the door with no make up, a protein shake, and not enough clothes!!
A sweater, light scarf, jeans and flats was not gonna do it. But in my mind I am thinking "oh, but I will be inside all day... it's fine."

Then I showed up to this:

This was the line outside the courthouse for security. I was in it for almost 45 minutes!!! 
Why?
Because FL is hardly EVER 34 degrees... and when it is... people put on more clothes....
more clothes=more work for security=longer lines

I WAS FREEZING.
My fingers were tingling so bad it felt like they were being poked over and over by needles. 
By the time I finally got inside to thaw it was time to go to my holding chamber. (where I am currently while writing this)..
i did walk in and come across an awkward situation when my craziest band parent said hello to me and happened to be serving jury duty as well (you have GOT to be kidding me).
I quickly bolted for the opposite end of the room.

Then I called to check in on my school and my kids (ya know, the ones I blogged about being a better teacher to just last night...)
GUESS WHAT I FORGOT!

oh, ya know... JUST A SUB!
I forgot to call in a sub!!!

I think in the back of my head I didn't really think my number would be called for jury duty so I didn't worry about it... and I think I assumed that because I turned in my absence request form that it would magically happen for me. I don't remember the last time I had to get a sub... because last year there were two of us and whenever we did subs Nicole took care of it. Last time I had a sub was because I was sick and I called that one in early in the morning.
So, it's been awhile since I actually assigned a sub.
Lesson learned.
Thank God for Jenn and Brad who saved my butt... yet again....


ok, adding that to my resolution.
Always have a sub lined up!

No comments: